Personally I am always on the lookout for ways to feel less stressed. Medical school is a stress-inducing environment and one should look for healthy ways to cope, otherwise you crash and burn. Food is always a tasty safety net to fall into but not the healthiest one since we tend to reach out for sugary treats that give a nice rush. But this nasty habit comes with extra pounds, a muffin top and self-esteem going down the drain. So along the past 4 years I’ve experimented with various ways to unwind, and so far this is what has worked:
- Write notes Making lists is a must if you want to get stuff done efficiently. But what is really important is to prioritize in these lists because there are things that, believe it or not, CAN wait. Not everything must be done in one day, and this is something I’m still working on because us type A’s tend to be very obsessive about certain things. Also, before taking all your worries into bed try making a list of things you are thinking about and stuff you have to do so you avoid a bout of insomnia.
- Get an oil diffuser For years and years the benefits of aromatherapy have been discussed. I don’t know if you are a skeptic or a believer but let me tell you, it works wonders. Lavender is one of the most popular oils. I’ve used it to go to tranquil sleep and also to turn down my motors. Peppermint is refreshing; it alleviates congestion and helps improve mood. Chamomile is great to calm you down after a hectic day and it is a well-known mood lifter.
- Turn up the volume Most people think that to relax everything has to be calm and silent but that is not true. Music has the ability to change your mood and calm you down, its just a matter of choosing the right kind of music. You can find many playlists on Spotify that provide nature sounds, like rain or the waves at the beach which provide relaxing background music to your day.
- Make some cookies This is a personal favorite of mine, and I don’t know if it is relaxing for anyone else, but I love to bake. Baking gives me ME-time and lets me create a delicious treat for me and my friends. You can find 5 ingredients recipes that are easy to make online and on Pinterest. You can also go to the Life-Batter section of the blog and be sure to follow our Life-Batter board on Pinterest for some inspiration : )
- Sharpen your coloring pencils Lately there has been a boom in adult coloring books. There are many variations, those with complicated designs and many with mandalas for relaxation. I’ve used Enchanted Forest and it is awesome. Head to Amazon to get a copy.
What are some things that you do to relax?
Share on the comments below : )